it is the holiday season, and we take the opportunity to clean our infrastructure.
During next week, we’ll plan a serie of Maintenance. The calendar is still unclear, but we’ll keep you posted here, and on the support public channel about how it goes.
During this week, all the instances will experience as much as 3 downtime, of maximum 30minutes, and it will be either between 12and14 or after 17.
But in any case, we’ll keep you updated here about the process.
If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask here.
If you have an event and you really need your instance that day, don’t hesitate to ask a delay here, or in the chat.
Actually, we have a plan for cloud.indie.host that we’ll communicate later. Long story short, we’ll stop maintenance of this instance, and migrate to a new one.
If you want, you can already migrate to nuage.liiib.re, account creation is open and if you have any feedback on the user journey? We’d gladly improve it
Just wait a bit, and we’ll update this chat to use the same sso as the new cloud, so it will be a true sso experience
If you want feedback I can test it… otherwise I will wait a bit until you officially launch Also because I thought, I will contact you via the form on the new homepage and ask how much it would cost to host my own instance (example: cloud.mydomain.TLD) under your new tariffs… do you prefer, that people already contact you with regards to offers, or shall we all wait until you launch officially?
EDIT - Mirijam reached out to me via PM. Just as Info for anybody reading this thread - they did not ignore my question!